Causes and Prevention of Toenail Fungus
In medical terms, toenail fungus is also known as Onychomycosis which is a very common problem in all those who ignore the hygiene of their toenails. Toenail’s fungus often thrives on damp and wet places and is very painful, nasty and also smells bad.
Microscopic fungi also known as dermatophytes are the main cause of toenail infection and fungus. People can get affected by these fungi while staying at damp spots such swimming pools, shower stalls and gym. The other reasons for toenail fungus include prolonged wearing of shoes and socks, abnormal level of pH in the skin and not drying the feet after exercise or bathing. Sharing personal items and footwear with others are also a risk factor when it comes to toenails infection and fungus.
Tips to Prevent Toenail Fungus from Spreading
The following tips can be useful to prevent toenail fungus infection.
The good way to avoid spreading of toenails fungus from one foot to another and one toenail to another is to keep the feet and toenails dry.
People can also use hair dryer to dry the nail and feet after shower or swimming.
People can put yeast free foot powder in their shoes and socks before wearing them to prevent fungal infection.
One needs to wear the shoes that have good ventilation system for letting the feet breathe.
In summer season, one should prefer wearing open toed sandals or shoes as this will not make the feet wet or damp and this will avoid toenail’s infections.
One should use a separate nail clipper for clipping the infected nails and to clean it with alcohol after using. This will surely avoid the nail fungus to spread from infected nails to other nails.
- After the daily workout, one needs to remove the wet shoes and socks. It is advisable to never put shoes or socks for longer hours and one should keep changing the socks regularly.
- Clip or filing the nails regularly and in proper shape to avoid nail fungus.
Home Remedies for Preventing and Treating Toenail Fungus
- Use Tea Tree Oil – A "Tea Tree Oil" is a fungicide and natural antiseptic that fights against toenail fungus and prevents it from spreading.
- Use Olive Oil and Oregano – The mixture of oregano and olive oil has essential antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties to avoid fungi germs that cause nail fungus.
- Use Listerine Mouthwash – People can use Listerine mouthwash to soak their infected toenails and feet to get rid off fungus.
In conclusion, it can be said that toenail fungus is a major problem that must be prevented and treated to avoid other health problems.
Other Related articles:
brittle toe nail
enhancing your nails with a nail wrap
french nail manicure
nail removal for acrylic nails
split nail causes and prevention
tips to repair dry nails
strengthen the weak nails
yellow nail symptoms and prevention
Bitter Nail Polish
nail biting habit
Nail Biting Home Remedies
nail biting polish
nail polish pens
severe nail biting
nail clippers for dogs
nail file electric
nail fungus natural remedy
nail gun cordless
nail polish strain remover
nail salon software
nails for nail gun